The Wood Education and Resource Center, located in Princeton, WV is a USDA Forest Service facility with offices, training facilities, and a rough mill. The WERC mission is to facilitate interaction and information exchange with
the forest products industry to enhance opportunities for sustained forest products production in the eastern hardwood forest region of the United States.
The Wood Education and Resource Center supports managerial and technical innovation to keep businesses competitive. It provides state-of-
the-art training, technology transfer, networking opportunities, applied research, and information&
WERC serves the primary and secondary hardwood manufacturing industries located in the 35 states of the eastern hardwood forest region.
WERC's Primary Goals
- Improve the knowledge, skills, and capacity of the forest industry management and workforce.
- Increase communication, cooperation, and collaborative problem solving within the forest products industry.
- Improve efficiency in forest product manufacturing and wood utilization.
- Promote the sustainable utilization of woody biomass for energy and value-added products.
The Wood Education and Resource Center is easily accessed from I-77. Click here for location information, driving directions and a local map.
Recent Program Highlights
- New publication: Wood Utilization Options for Urban Trees Infested by Invasive Species
- New publication: Manufacturing and Marketing Eastern Hardwood Lumber Produced from Thin Kerf Band Mills
- Click here for archived WERC Updates starting in June 2011.
- National Skill Standards for Woodworkers more>>
- New publication: A Marketing Guide for Small and Medium Sized Primary Forest Products Processors. This new publication provides small and medium sized sawmills and primary processors with many marketing ideas and concepts. more »
- Northeastern Area Woody Biomass Business Plan Approved
- WERC goes wireless! If you have a computer with wireless capability, you can now connect in the WERC facility. Open your Network Connections, and double click on Wireless Network Connection. When the "Choose a wireless network window" opens, select "0013A3DD8436" if you are in the office and Forest Service if you are in the Training Center.
- Wood Education and Resource Center Leads Development
of Online Training Information Exchange System
- Woody Biomass Technical Assistance Team more>>
WERC Success Stories